When Pantone named Emerald its 2013 Color of the Year, I immediately started thinking aout all the great ways to incorporate a pop of stylish green into my office for the new year. The items featured above all fit the bill and serve as great examples of the five things to keep in mind when bringing a trend into the workplace:
1. Go for Details Not Distractions. A casual observer might notice this discreet Monogrammed Acrylic Business Card Holder from Design Darling perched atop your desk and note that you are clearly a lady who is au courant, but she won't be distracted from the ultimate goal - to identify you as a valuable connection and help herself to a business card.
2. Get Something Practical. Even if you get sick of the trend after awhile, you're unlikely to tire of something that proves itself useful in your everyday life. Since every polished girl needs a great planner in her handbag (and no, a smartphone doesn't count), this Crane Leather Desk Diary is a great option. You can also find similar planners in a lower price point here and here.
3. It Won't Last Forever. Eventually, Emerald will run its course, as will the next trend and the one after that. Don't commit to an investment like artwork or furniture, unless you love the look for yourself, regardless of whether or not it's still in fashion. Something that will be used in the moment, but replaced down the line, like Monogrammed Thank You Notes are the perfect way to dabble.
4. Start Small. Do you even like this trend? You may not be sure. So start with something small like a Green Lacquer Tornado Rollerball Pen and see if you find yourself craving more.
5. Think Outside the Box. Don't be afraid to incorporate something that might spark a bit of conversation, as long as it's still practical and doesn't detract from your personal brand. I love the unexpectedness of this Lexon Desk Set, which can be tucked away into a corner but still brightens up an otherwise mundane office space.
Will you incorporate Emerald into your workspace this month?